8 Moving Tips – With A Couple Of Weird Ones
You have made the decision to move and found a new place to live, so now you just have to somehow get through a move while maintaining a busy schedule. If you are already an Austinite, you are probably looking forward to exploring your new neighborhood. If you are relocating here then you likely already have a list of places to visit and things to do when you get here.
Regardless if you are a local or relocating, you probably wish you could fast-forward through the moving process. Unfortunately, you can’t but that does not mean you can’t enjoy the big day and have a little fun along the way. Below are moving and packing tips and hacks that should come in handy.
- Hire movers early. Austin is one of the hottest cities in the country to move to, so finding a reputable company won’t be easy if you wait until the last minute.
- Drink lots of beer…for the boxes, of course, or visit a local liquor store! Beer boxes are strong and have handles. Enough said!
- Pack an overnight bag. There is going to come a time when you catch yourself sleeping sitting up and you will realize you have nothing left in you. Thankfully, your overnight bag will have your toiletries, sheets, phone charger, and anything else you need to go to bed.
- Label Everything – Colored stickers are the way to go. Make sure each box has a sticker on two sides so the movers can tell at a glance where they go.
- Fill nail holes with a bar of soap, if you are hoping to get your full security deposit back.
- Downsize while you pack. Don’t pack and move things you don’t need anymore. Donate, sell, or give to your (favorite) friends.
- Make the most of the clothes. It’s okay to use a garment box for your good clothes that need to stay on hangers but put everything else to good use. Clothes are the perfect substitute for bubble wrap and thicker items add padding to the bottom of boxes.
- Plastic wrap is your friend and it serves many purposes. First remove lids to all toiletries and liquid dish and laundry soap. Then, put the caps back on to stop these things from leaking.
Happy Moving & Keep Austin Weird!